This ad is expired.
University Police Communications and Security Specialist 1
Job no: 494731
Division/Equivalent: Enrollment Management & Student Affairs
School/Unit: University Police
Department/Office: University Police
Categories: Campus Police & Security Services
12 hour shifts with rotating days off
The University Police Communications and Security Specialist 1 provides communications, security, and public safety services within a 24/7 operation in the University Police Department at SUNY Brockport. This position requires working during various shifts and holidays. Their primary responsibility is to function as a desk officer, including communication activities such as dispatching and using various databases, online systems, and multiple video sources. Campus Public Safety Officers are required to wear uniforms. Where appropriate, they also may assist University Police Officers.
- Answers incoming phone calls, provides information to callers, and documents requests for police assistance.
- Maintains two-way radio communication with mobile patrol units, dispatches appropriate unit(s) to locations as required, and responds to requests for information from patrol units.
- Obtains information from and enters data into various computer systems including E-Justice, the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and a local, in-house records management computer system.
- Answers in-person inquiries from visitors to the University Police Office, provides directions, completes written reports as appropriate.
- Monitors campus fire alarm systems and initiates proper fire and police department responses as necessary.
- Operates radio, telephone, and broadcast equipment, closed-circuit television systems, and electronic security systems.
- Monitors, activates, deactivates, and controls electronic access systems.
- Prepares written reports and maintains the police department blotter as assigned.
- Maintains communication files and performs other communication-related duties as required by shift supervisor.
- Prepares and files a variety of reports and logs, and performs other security related activities.
- Maintains and controls logs and incoming lost and found property.
- The duties of a Campus Public Safety Officer are people-oriented and communications are sometimes stressful. Duties require contact with members at all levels within the University Police Department, other police and governmental agencies, the campus community and the general public. Campus Public Safety Officer must communicate with tact and diplomacy both orally and in writing in order to gain the cooperation of others and to obtain information.
Candidates must have permanent appointment in a Communications and Security Specialist, SG-10, classified position or be reachable for appointment on the current NY State Civil Service canvass list for a Communications and Security Specialist, SG-10.
NOTE: Background Investigation: Because of the nature of the position there is an investigative screening that may include a thorough character investigation. All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case is determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws. You will be responsible for finger printing fees.
How to apply:
Please respond to the canvass, submit your application, cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references, one being a current supervisor, at jobs.brockport.edu by November 4, 2020.
New York State Executive Order 161
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Diversity Statement
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College's commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/494731/university-police-communications-and-security-specialist-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency